Monday, January 2, 2012

Blue Checkerboards

This manicure was inspired by a tutorial on Chloe's Nails for checkerboard manis.  I wish she was still blogging - her nail designs are such an inspiration to me!


I followed the tape tutorial that she posted, but after I was done it didn't look anywhere near as perfect as hers, so I decided I better add the white stripes in order to cover up the uneven lines.  Then I added the blue dots in the center to tie it all together and called it a day.  I'm happy with how this turned out, although it's a bit thicker than I would like, simply because I put a thin coat of Seche Vite on after each layer of the checkerboard.  I know I need to work on clean up but I'm too lazy to do it right now! 

Here are the polishes I used:


OPI - Dating a Royal (absolutely in LOVE with this color!!)
China Glaze - Sky High Top
OPI - Alpine Snow (Matte)
White Striper
Dotting Tool

Pardon the hot mess on the cap of the Alpine Snow... there was a rather unfortunate incident involving the brush flying out of my hand and spraying polish EVERYWERE. 

I was at Michael's the other day and found a set of three dotting tools.  I was just there looking for dotting tools about a month ago and they didn't have any.  This time I was there looking for something else and happened to see them.  Now that I have some proper dotting tools I'm going to try some more polka dot manis.  The ones I have done in the past were all done with toothpicks!  

No comments:

Post a Comment